If you are having difficulty conceiving, there are many possible ways for men and women to boost their fertility. One of the best natural ways is maintaining a healthy diet. Consuming the right foods can help to improve your chances of getting pregnant. The list below shows which foods are central to improving fertility.
- Foods rich in omega-3. Omega-3 fatty acids are important to maintain good reproductive health. One of the best sources of omega-3 is fish. You can add salmon, cat fish, shrimp, and canned light tuna to your fertility diet program. Nevertheless, it is best to avoid certain fish which may have high mercury levels, such as tuna stacks, marlin, white tuna and canned and fresh swordfish. Mercury can stay in your blood stream for up to one year.
- Bright fruits and vegetables. They are loaded with antioxidants and micronutrients which help to protect the reproductive organs, eggs and sperm against the damaging effects of free radicals. These fruits and vegetables include: blueberries, kale, oranges, kiwi, strawberries, red peppers, and many more.
- Foods rich in iron. Iron plays vital role in your diet because it helps keep your reproductive health strong, especially if you have heavy periods. Consuming a healthy level of iron during pregnancy can avoid the risk of anemia in pregnancy. It will also help to reduce the risk of post-partum anemia. The baby will require some of the iron intake to develop. Iron can be found in meat (chicken, turkey and beef), fish (oysters, mussels, sardines), and vegetables (asparagus, beans and cooked beans and lentils).
- Best sources of amino acid. Amino acid helps in generating fertility hormones FSH and LH. Dairy products and lean animal proteins such as fish can be included in this category.
- Vegetables contain beta carotene. If you have problem with irregular menstrual cycles, beta carotene can help to regulate menstrual flow thereby increasing your fertility. These vegetables include sweet potatoes, carrots and peas.
- Drink a lot of water. It is important to keep our body hydrated because water helps our bodies function properly, including the reproductive organs. Water will also provide natural fluid for the sperms to reach the cervix. Drinking a lot of filtered or spring water can increase your fertility levels.