Spices are usually used to add flavor to your favorite dishes. But do you know that certain spices can also help you reach your weight-loss goals? There are specific spices that have thermogenic effect on the body. They can boost your metabolism and burn the calories faster. The increased demand for calories will eventually increase your body fat loss.
- Cinnamon. Adding cinnamon in a dish is a natural way to get sweet taste without sugar. Some studies showed that cinnamon can contribute to weight loss program. It has the ability to control blood sugar levels, promote healthier processing of carbohydrates, and reduce the insulin level after eating. Scientists refer to the hormone insulin as the “principal regulator of fat metabolism”. High insulin level can trigger excess fat. Cinnamon can also delay gastric emptying and minimize the feeling of hunger after eating.
- Black pepper. This ingredient contain a component called piperine, which gives pepper its pungent taste and boosts fat metabolism by as much as 8%. Black pepper also has the ability to improve digestion and promote the absorption of nutrients in your body.
- Cayenne pepper. Capsaicin in cayenne pepper is known for its fat-burning abilities. Cayenne has thermogenic effect which can increase calorie burning. Scientific studies also found that the spice increases fat oxidation.
- Turmeric. It is a bright yellow aromatic powder obtained from the rhizome of a plant. This spice is commonly found in India and South East Asia. People use it to add specific taste and natural color to the foods. In Indonesia, turmeric is usually used as main ingredient (combined with tamarind) in traditional herbal drink. Turmeric helps break down fat and regulate the body’s metabolism. It can also reduce the chance of diabetes.
- Mustard seed. This spice also contains thermogenic properties that helps boost metabolism and allows you to burn fat more quickly. A research in Canada found that consuming spicy foods, including those with mustard seed in it, can burn 1000 calories a day. Eating just one teaspoon of hot mustard can boost metabolism 20 to 25% for several hours after eating.
- Ginger. It has a lot of health benefits, but its role in weight loss is still debatable. Ginger is an effective diuretic, which can increase the elimination of urine. It also improves gastric mobility (pushes food and waste through the digestive system); and hinders the absorption of cholesterol. In this case, ginger may indirectly promote weight loss through loss of water weight because it supposedly promotes urination. However, ginger also promotes appetite and this can be contradictory to weight-loss goals.